About the WPC
WPC Product Information
Latest Radar Imagery
Daily Weather Map
Development and Training
Weather Prediction Center
College Park, MD
What's New at the WPC
- May 17, 2010 -- Added a CONUS viewing option to our final
Day 3-7 sea level pressures/fronts graphics.
- April 19, 2010 -- WPC adds 6-hour Probabilistic QPFs
to its product suite. The new products include probability of precipitation forecasts of at least a specified
amount and forecasts of precipitation amount by percentile.
- December 14, 2009 -- Added to WPC's winter weather product suite are
3-hour probability of freezing rain forecasts for Days 1-3 across the continental U.S.
- May 18, 2009 -- WPC begins producing QPF products and the Significant River Flood Outlook in
- January 12, 2009 -- The Selected Cities Forecast
is no longer produced by WPC. This product is now being derived directly from the National Weather Service's
National Digital Forecast Database (NDFD) and is available at
Please update your bookmarks accordingly.
- January 5, 2009 -- Two changes were made to the medium range forecast pages.
- October 6, 2008 -- Beginning today, the National Forecast Chart
will be issued twice daily. The initial product will be sent by 0900 UTC, with an update of this forecast by 2100 UTC.
- October 1, 2008 -- Introduced an experimental graphic that displays
24-hour observed precipitation over the continental U.S.
Please view its Product Description Document for additional information.
- March 17, 2008 -- Added 6-hour and 60-hour forecasts to our Short Range Forecast
product suite and made significant changes to the display of the forecasts on our web site. For more details on the web changes,
please view information about using the new web pages. Also added short range WPC 500-mb pattern graphics to the Model diagnostics page.
- January 29, 2008 -- Modified the area of our day 3-7 500mb height forecasts
to include the entire CONUS, and added 500mb height forecasts
to our Alaskan product suite.
- December 3, 2007 -- We have added to our product suite
Day 4-8 Forecasts for Alaska.
At this time, only fronts and mean sea level pressure
graphics, along with a written discussion, are being created. More products will be added over the next
couple of months. In addition, this function is currently experimental, therefore content may not update regularly.
- November 30, 2007 -- Recently added Model Trend Graphics
for the GFS and NAM to WPC's Model Diagnostics Page.
- June 14, 2007 -- Recently added Heat Index forecasts to
WPC's Product Suite in GIS format.
- June 5, 2007 -- Experimental Day 2 and Day 3 Excessive Rainfall
forecasts are added to our product suite.
- December 7, 2006 -- We have introduced a higher resolution version of the
Surface Analysis coded bulletin.
- September 5, 2006 -- Modified the look of the
Significant River Flood Outlook product. Categories are now color-coded and all significant water bodies
are shown in light blue.
- August 9, 2006 -- A subset of the WPC product suite is now being provided in a GIS (Geographic Information System).
This includes all QPF products, the Excessive Rainfall forecast, and the Significant River Flood Outlook.
See how to access these products in GIS format.
- June 29, 2006 -- In response to calibration studies conducted at WPC, the probability categories for the
Excessive Rainfall Forecast have been
modified. View additional regarding
- May 8, 2006 -- We've added a Surface Analysis Archive
page where you can view individual maps dating back to March 30, 2006 or loop up to one week's worth of recent analyses.
- March 22, 2006 -- As of March 20, 2006, the page where you can download a week's worth of
Daily Weather Maps will contain downloadable daily files
for the current week. These files will usually be available around 1:00 p.m. EST each day.
- March 20, 2006 -- Moved several items from the Experimental Products
page to operational pages. These include the WPC QPF files in GRIB Format
, Day 4-7 Gridded Forecasts, and
Day 3-7 500mb Height Forecasts for the Western U.S.
- February 13, 2006 -- Modified the background of the combination
CONUS (Continental United States) analysis/Radar image.
- November 28, 2005 -- Experimental SREF derived
Winter Weather Impact Graphics.
- August 26, 2005 -- Short range forecasts and selected surface analyses are now available in
- August 4, 2005 -- Created a new page which provides the capability to
convert and calculate numerous
- March 8, 2004 -- Added to the Surface Analysis
page a combination
CONUS (Continental United States) analysis/Radar image.
- October 5, 2004 -- Changes are
made to the Excessive Rainfall graphics.
- September 15, 2004 -- Significant changes
are made to the Winter Weather product suite.
- August 31, 2004 -- The Day 4-5 and
5-day QPFs are now being produced twice per day.
- July 13, 2004 -- Added a link to
WPC's Day 4-7 Gridded Forecasts to the Experimental Products page.
- March 8, 2004 -- Upgraded the Daily Forecast Archive page
to more easily navigate through the forecast days.
- February 24, 2004 -- Added to the
Surface Analysis page the ability to view
Hourly Observations of wind chill temperature and heat index.
- January 26, 2004 -- Added to our Development and Training
page a presentation on the
Hebron Flash Flood Event of June 22-23, 2003
- January 22, 2004 -- Added a link on the
Current Products page to
Today's Forecast and to an Archive
of previous Daily Forecasts.
- December 17, 2003 --
12-hour probability of precipitation forecasts are now available for days 3-7.
- December 8, 2003 -- Added a link displaying
Medium-Range Sea-level Pressure verification to the
WPC Verification page.
- November 5, 2003 -- Added the ability to view our QPFs in
12-hour increments for days 1-3, including the capability to
loop the images.
- August 25, 2003 -- Enhanced the
WPC 3-7 Day Temperature and PoP Forecast Text File to include both maximum and mininum temperatures AND departures from normal.
Plus, have added 12-hour PoP forecasts and departures from normal.
- July 10, 2003 -- Added a link to
Day 3-7 500mb height forecasts for the Western U.S. to the
Experimental Products page.
- June 3, 2003 -- The domain of the
North American Surface Analysis is modified.
View information regarding
- May 8, 2003 -- Modified the appearance of the
National Precipitation Verification Units' (NPVU) pages.
- May 7, 2003 -- Added a photo gallery
of the current meteorologists visiting the
- April 11, 2003 -- Added a page detailing the
proposed changes to the North American Surface Analysis.
- March 5, 2003 -- Upgraded the preliminary and
final day 3-7 graphics to allow for easier navigation among the
- February 27, 2003 -- Added a 5-panel display of the preliminary
and final day 3-7 forecasts over the continental U.S.
- February 25, 2003 -- Upgraded the
hourly surface data page to allow for easier navigation among observation times.
- February 10, 2003 -- Added buoy and ship observations to the high resolution
hourly surface data plots.
- January 29, 2003 -- Two changes were made to the site.
- Modified the Daily Weather Map page to ease navigation to online maps
and provide a link to download the weekly printed versions.
- Added the capability to loop Surface Analyses for the previous 24 hours.
- January 29, 2003 -- Modified the Daily Weather Map
page to ease navigation to maps online and provide a link to download the weekly printed versions.
- January 3, 2003 -- Added a link for the Prelimary Extended
Forecast Discussion, usually available by 1430 UTC. This discussion highlights medium-range model differences and
provides initial model preferences and/or changes to MOS for the three collaborative clusters of the National Digital
Forecast Database (NDFD).
- December 31, 2002 -- Provided new information regarding the distribution of the
Daily Weather Map.
- December 9, 2002 -- Implemented a new version of the
Model Diagnostics page. The major changes include:
- December 8, 2002 -- Added a table of black and white images
to the Surface Analysis page.
- December 3, 2002 -- Changes are coming to the way the Daily Weather Map
is printed and distributed. Click here to get the details.
- November 18, 2002 -- Added a loop of sea level pressures
and fronts for days 0-7. This product incorporates the current surface analysis (day 0) and the short and medium range forecasts (days 1-7).
This loop can be accessed from the Surface Analysis,
Days 1-2, and
Medium range (Days 3-7) pages.
- October 31, 2002 -- Added a loop of 24-hour QPF
for Days 1-3 and modified the 6-hourly loop to include Day 3.
- October 28, 2002 -- Black and white graphics added to the Surface Analysis page.
- October 22, 2002 -- Added color-filled graphics for days 3-7 minimum and maximum temperatures
and probability of precipitation forecasts.
Click here to view a sample.
- October 21, 2002 -- Numerous changes made to the web site. They include:
- October 4, 2002 -- WPC issues public advisories for
Tropical Depression Lili.
- September 30, 2002 -- Heat Index forecasts end for the warm season. They will resume on or about May 1, 2003.
- September 27, 2002 -- WPC issues public advisories for
Tropical Depression Isidore.
- September 15-16, 2002 -- WPC issues public advisories for
Tropical Depression Hanna.
- September 15, 2002 -- Winter Weather forecasts resume, with additional winter weather
links at the bottom of the page.
- September 7-11, 2002 -- WPC issues public advisories for
Tropical Depression Fay.
- August 5-9, 2002 -- WPC issues public advisories for Tropical Depression "Bertha."
- July 2, 2002 -- Reintroduced Verification Graphics for the
Eta, AVN, UKMET, and ECMWF after a long server outage.
- July 1, 2002 -- Added a page displaying Hourly Surface Observations
for the Continental United States.
- June 28, 2002 -- Created a page for Preliminary Medium-Range Graphics.
Days 3-7 sea level pressures, fronts, high and low temperatures and probability of precipitation forecasts are available by 1400 UTC.
- June 19, 2002 -- Added the presentation "Seasonal Climatology of 4-inch Rainfall Events"
by Wes Junker to the Development and Training page.
- April-May, 2002 -- WPC web pages converted to a new design, providing easier access to our suite of products.
Click here for information about the latest changes.
- April 24, 2002 -- Created new page for WPC's Medium-Range Mean Heat Index Forecasts.
Also added a link detailing WPC's accomplishments during 2001.
- February 22, 2002 -- Updated the WPC Medium-Range Forecasting presentation on the
Development and Training page.
- November 21, 2001 -- Added link to the Significant River Flood Outlook on the main WPC Homepage under Current Products.
- November 4, 2001 -- 09Z and 21Z surface analyses on the Surface Analysis page now depict analyzed fronts rather than automated isobars.
- July 6, 2001 -- Added links for 'color on white background' and 'color-fill on white background' images to the QPF page and added links for 'color on white background' images to the Surface Analysis page.
- May 29, 2001 -- Completed revision/expansion of text pages to access model bias graphics on the Model Diagnostics/Biases page.
- May 24, 2001 -- Added 'color on white background' images to Short Range Forecast page. Also added a region centered on the Gulf of Alaska to the Surface Analysis page.
- April 25, 2001 -- Completed revision/expansion of the Model Verification section of the Model Diagnostics/Biases page.
- March 19, 2001 -- Added a link to medium range products page.
Questions? Comments? Click here to send mail to the WPC.
Last Modified September 15, 2004